Skip to main content

The Wabasso Memorial, by Janie Crepin and Katlyne Cyr, Secondary 5, Three Rivers Academy, Trois-Rivières

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

Category: built heritage

Montreal used to dominate cotton-making in Canada. In 1907, Charles R. Whitehead, owner of Montmorency Cotton Mill Company, left Dominion Textile and came to Trois-Rivières and found Wabasso Cotton. The company hired around a thousand employees. Among employees, males earned 45 cents per hour while females earned 28 cents. Men used to be long-term employees while women were only part time. Wabasso closed their doors on May 17th 1985, making 1665 people to lose their job. The building was destroyed in 1986 and 1987.

We chose this heritage because we were intrigued to know the origin of the old parts of a building behind the Super C shopping centre near our school. Every time we passed by this place, we wondered what used to be there. We found out that it was in fact Wabasso and that the street in Trois-Rivières, Whitehead Street, was named after the founder of Wabasso.

Janie Crepin and Katlyne Cyr, Three Rivers Academy, 2012.