2016 HERITAGE ESSAY CONTEST!
The Quebec Anglophone Heritage Network is looking for hometown history! We’re offering students in Grades 4, 5 and 6 prizes for the best true stories about remarkable people, events and traditions from Quebec’s past.
Write a brief story in English about one of the following topics:
A person from history who was important to your community. He or she could be a pioneer, an inventor, an artist, an athlete, a local hero… the choice is completely up to you! Tell about your subject’s life and most memorable achievements; or
A significant historical event that took place in your community. Tell us what happened, when it happened, and how it affected the people in your hometown; or
A special custom, festival, or other tradition that takes place in your community each year. What are its origins? When does it take place? Why is it an important part of your hometown heritage?
1st Prize: $150. 2nd Prize: $125. 3rd Prize: $100. All winners will receive certificates.
Winning stories will appear in Quebec Heritage News magazine and on www.QAHN.org.
Submissions will be judged according to content, originality, grammar and clarity of writing.
Format and Length:
Essays must be neatly handwritten or typed, and contain between 200 and 250 words. They may be accompanied by a photo.
Originality and Plagiarism:
Essays must be written in the student’s own words. Any submissions copied in whole or part from the Internet or other sources will be disqualified.
The deadline for submissions is April 30, 2016.
Submissions must contain the name and grade of the student, the name of the school and the teacher, and the school telephone number and mailing address.
Send entries to:
By mail: Quebec Anglophone Heritage Network, 400-257 Queen Street, Sherbrooke, Qc J1M 1K7
By email: email@example.com.
2016 HERITAGE PHOTO CONTEST!
Back by popular demand! QAHN is pleased to announce the 5th edition of its annual Heritage Photo Contest. This contest is open to students enrolled in English-language high schools in the province of Quebec.
1. Subject matter: Photos must be of an object, person, place or event of significance to the heritage of the student’s family, school, or community. Subjects must be relevant in some way to life in the province of Quebec.
2. Photographer: Photos must be the work of the student.
3. Specs: Photos may be submitted in either colour or black and white. Photos must be in digital format (JPGs), and must have a resolution of 300 ppi or better, and a dimension of at least 800 X 1000 pixels.
4. Each photo must be accompanied by the following:
• the name of the student;
• the grade of the student;
• the name of the teacher;
• the name, address and telephone number of the high school;
• the title of the photo;
• the date and circumstance sin which the photo was taken;
• the category of heritage being represented (eg., family heritage; cultural heritage; architectural heritage; natural heritage; etc.);
• and a 150 to 300 word essay, written in the student’s own words, describing the subject and why it constitutes “heritage.” The essay should accompany the photo as a separate file.
5. Participants may submit up to a maximum of three (3) photos / essays each;
6. Submissions may be submitted by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The date on which the email was sent will be considered the date of submission. Submissions (on CD) may also be sent by regular mail to: QAHN, 400-257 Queen, Sherbrooke, QC J1M 1K7. For entries received by regular mail, the postmark will be considered the date of submission.
7. Judging: All submissions will be judged according to composition, originality, and technical merit (for the photography), and content, grammar and originality (for the accompanying essay).
8. Originality and Plagiarism: Photos and accompanying essays must be entirely the work of the student. Any photo or essay found to have been copied in whole or in part from the Internet or elsewhere will be disqualified.
9. Tips: When taking a photograph, pay careful attention to lighting, focus, distance, and the angle of the subject being photographed. Avoid reflections that can be caused by flashes. Think about how you want the subject to appear to the viewer, and about how it will be photographed to its best advantage. When writing about the subject, be concise. Edit your words carefully. Most importantly, think about how your subject constitutes heritage. Finally, have fun!
1st Prize: $200
2nd Prize: $150
3rd Prize: $100
All prize-winners will receive certificates. In addition, all prize-winning photos will be published in Quebec Heritage News, the quarterly magazine of the Quebec Anglophone Heritage Network, as well as on www.QAHN.org.
The deadline for submissions is 5:00 p.m. on April 30, 2016.
For more information, contact QAHN at: email@example.com, or at: (819) 564-9595 or toll free at: 1 (877) 964-0409.