St. Francis College

Richmond County Historical Society

larger_richmond_1_0.jpgThe St. Francis College (1854-1898) played a prominent role on the education scene in Quebec.

The New England pioneers relied on private initiative for the education of their youth and built local school houses, academies and a college. This red brick building (1855-1882), measuring 75' x 40', consisted of classrooms, private apartments for the principal and his family, and rooms for student boarders. On February 4, 1882, St. Francis College was destroyed by fire.

Classes continued in church and town halls until a new brick building was built and ready for classes in March, 1883.

(Photo courtesy of the Richmond County Historical Society Archives)