--March 18, 2019.
1. A. There had been a forest fire in the township in 1870. The fire cleared a good amount of undulating land creating an ideal spot on which to construct the Saint-Jovite mission.
2. D. All of the above.
3. C. 8%.
4. B. Paper.
5. A. P’tit Train du Nord.
6. D. Île d’Orléans.
7. A. The clearing of lands and the burning of the debris.
8. B. Hitting three shots under par at the nearby golf course. Albatross Road runs beside a golf course in Saint-Jovite and thus was named after a coveted golfing achievement: hitting three shots under par on a hole.
9. A. A fire destroyed the facilities. The mill was rebuilt quickly and continued to operate until the early 1970s.
10. A. A civic parish needed a minimum population of 300 and this parish fell short. The united municipality was known as the Municipality of the United Townships of Salaberry and Grandison.
11. B. The town hall. The hall was built in 1889 on land belonging to the church, close to what is now rue Charbonneau.
12. A. It was produced mainly by the adapted sawmill on the Ruisseau Clair. The electricity was used for new lamps on the village streets but the sawmill struggled to supply regular power to them. Once the town was supplied with electricity from Gatineau Power in August, 1931, this issue was resolved.
13. D. Portable fire pumps. This is one example of the improvement of municipal services that had begun around this time. Another example is the public water system added to the municipality in 1928.
14. D. All of the above.
15. B. A fearsome manitou (great spirit) causes the mountain to shake when its peace is disturbed. The legend of the Manitonga Soutana was first conveyed to settlers by geologist William Edmond Logan in 1859 and later orally transferred by Michel Chichippe, a member of the Algonquin people.
16. B. Wearing shorts and sleeveless shirts. The fine would be levied for “indecent apparel”. Women bathing on the beach were also not permitted to wear swimsuits that were deemed too revealing.
17. A. They were dug up and bones were put into bags that were brought to new graves. This was done by hand to ensure care, and each bag was labelled with the name of the deceased. The bags were put into a two-wheeled cart or tumbrel to be moved by horse to the new cemetery. The remains were then buried below crosses made by the relatives of the deceased. The cemetery they were moved to is still in use today.
18. D. All of the above. The land was converted into a park in 1900.
19. E. A and B only.
20. D. All of the above.
21. F. A, B and C only.
22. B. The opening of the Mont Tremblant Lodge. People would dismount the P’tit train du Nord at the Lac Mercier station to access the lodge until the 1960s when they began to drive there instead.
23. B. A park along the old railway line. This park preserves the railway’s right-of-way for people to enjoy as a bicycle path.
24. C. Weskarini.
25. E. B and C only.
*Duncan Crabtree, a History student at Bishop's University in Sherbrooke, interned with QAHN in 2019.