--November 26, 2021.
The cover photograph for this book, Gatineau Valley Golf Courses, 1903 – 1933, shows Anson Green about to strike a tee shot at the Larrimac Golf Club in 1930, seven years after the first golf shot was struck on these golf grounds. It turns out that today the golf course of the Larrimac Golf and Tennis Club is the last survivor of at least sixteen golf courses laid out in the Gatineau Valley between 1903 and 1933.
There were four different golf courses laid out at Kingsmere between 1903 and the 1920s.
There was a golf course laid out at Kirk’s Ferry in the summer of 1911.
There were three different nine-hole layouts at Farm Point between 1912 and 1921.
At Tenaga, there were two different layouts in play between 1914 and 1930.
North Wakefield had its own golf course in the summer of 1916.
Royal Ottawa golf professional Karl Keffer laid out a nine-hole course at Blue Sea Lake in 1921.
At Larrimac, there were three different layouts between 1923 and 1928, including an 18-hole golf
There was also a nine-hole golf course at Gleneagle that opened in 1933 and lasted about 25 years.
And there was very nearly a spectacular 18-hole golf course built at Meach Lake in 1931.
To read the entire story of early golf in the Gatineau River Valley, by Donald J. Childs, click here!